Friday, December 19, 2014

Digital Sketching is Fun

Today I downloaded a drawing app and played with it for a couple of hours. The one I got is Sketchbook Express. I love my iPad mini anyway, but now it's even more fun. It is probably a good thing I didn't have an art app while in school; I'd have been in the back row drawing everything instead of taking notes. Here are some of my digital masterpieces:


My paint box..


With quite a few brush tools and color mixing ability, I can get all kinds of effects. Particularly fun is the ability to lay down both translucent and opaque color together. 

Sugar jar..
                                  
I love gesture drawings. Looking at the object while drawing- not the paper- gives the sketches a wonky immediacy that a carefully drafted drawing rarely has. Finishing them with realistic color and shading just gives them more charm, at least to me. 


Living room..
         
There's a sense when using digital sketching that the drawing is disposable, which somehow makes it easier to let myself explore the possibilities. However, if I want to keep the sketch, the program saves it for me. The best bit?  Many apps for drawing/painting are free. It's a win/win thing!  


No comments: